The Institute primarily works towards the development of technology in steel usage and the market for the steel fraternity. Some of its roles are:
- Creating awareness amongst potential users about affordability and benefits of steel.
- Providing prompt advisory service on materials, construction practices, interpretation of codes, etc. and creating an environment for better usage of steel by acquiring and disseminating knowledge about the best practices.
- Preparing handbooks, design guides, life cycle cost study reports, manuals to facilitate speedy and cost effective design and construction by professionals
- Upgrading the skills of the professionals by organizing refresher courses/training programs and offering better technical know-how, design aids and teaching aids.
- Communicating the benefits of steel Vi's-a-Vi's other competitive materials, through life cycle cost studies, wherever required.
- Interacting with Bureau of Indian Standards, Indian Road Congress and Railways for revision of steel related codes bringing in factors for improving efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Providing requisite thrust to increase steel consumption in rural areas.
- Assisting in the development of ancillary industries that boost the usage of steel.
- Providing Consultancy Services in the key areas like design, fabrication, detailing, protection, checking etc.